Creating the perfect resume takes time and a focused approach. Managers have stated that they only spend 1 minute reading each resume so make sure you are not making these common mistakes and you could be walking into your dream job.
- Don’t lie on your resume. 69% of managers realized that their candidate was lying when it came to their degrees, employment dates, invented jobs, reasons for leaving their previous jobs and inflated salary claims. Be honest when writing your resume and you won’t go wrong.
- Lack of keywords. Most companies now use digital software to go through resumes. Make sure that you include keywords that relate to the industry or job opening. This includes degrees and certifications, job titles, product names, company names and experience in software or hardware packages.
- Stand out from the crowd. No manager likes to see the same words repeated in each resume that they read. Try to stay away from using the following words; creative, innovative, responsible, strategic, driven, analytical and patient.
- Make sure you don’t have any grammatical errors. There are many common spelling mistakes that can ensure that you will not get the job. Ensure that you use spell-check and always ask someone else to check your resume before you send it out.
- Always customize your resume to the job you are applying for. 79% of human resource managers will not look at your resume if it does not discuss your skills that match the job description.
Keep following us for more useful tips and tricks on how you could be landing your dream job in Canada.